Alicia Backman-Beharry has practiced as an immigration lawyer for 17 years. She was called to the Alberta bar in 2003 and was an associate with a medium sized firm and a boutique immigration law firm. Alicia went out on her own as a sole practitioner 8 years ago. She works with corporations, individuals and other lawyers to solve difficult immigration legal issues. Prior to joining the Holthe Immigration Law team, she also contributed as a part-time program lawyer at a non-profit poverty law clinic.
She finds it rewarding to help individuals and companies through the complex world of Canadian Immigration law. Having taught courses on temporary and permanent residence, Alicia is able to see how various pieces of the immigration puzzle fit together, and can provide advice so that people understand which application to pursue and why.
During her career as Immigration Lawyer Alicia Backman-Beharry has assisted with a wide range of business immigration matters, including applications for Labour Market Impact Assessments, work permits, Intra-company transfers, and Employer Compliance Reviews. She also has extensive experience with Permanent Residence applications including Express Entry, Provincial Nominee Program, Humanitarian and Compassionate, and family class sponsorships. While working with the poverty law clinic, she routinely helped people with inadmissibility issues, refugee matters, restoration applications, and temporary residence permits. She has appeared before various Courts and Tribunals, including Federal Court, Provincial Court, the Court of Queen’s Bench, the Immigration and Refugee Board, the Immigration Division, and the Immigration Appeal Division.
Volunteering has always been a big part of how Alicia spends her time. She enjoyed 9 years on the Board of a large immigrant serving settlement organization, including serving as Secretary, Vice-Chair, Chair and Past-Chair of the Board and is currently Chair of the Immigration and Citizenship Law Alberta South Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Learn more about Canadian Immigration Lawyer Alicia Backman-Beharry
- B.A. (Hon.) | University of Calgary
- LL.B. | University of Alberta
Memberships and Professional Credentials:
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Immigration Section, Alberta South Region
- Past Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, Immigration Section, Alberta South Region
- Representative for Southern Alberta, Immigration Appeal Division Joint Consultative Committee for Western Canada
- RYT 200 Registered Yoga Teacher with the Yoga Alliance
Publications and Presentations:
- Presenter, “Immigration in a nutshell: an overview of immigration law issues and analysis of a case scenario,” Canadian Bar Association, Immigration Section, Alberta South Region, October 24, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Employer Compliance in Business Immigration,” Canadian Bar Association, Immigration Section, Alberta South Region, September 27, 2017
- Presenter, “Refugees then and now: a practitioner’s perspective on how Canadian immigration policies impact people,” Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Calgary, May 28, 2016
- Moderator, “Preparing Persuasive Humanitarian and Compassionate and Temporary Resident Permit Applications,” CBA National Immigration Law Conference, Calgary, AB, May 9-10, 2014
- Speaker, Chair of the Board, Immigrant Services Calgary, Immigrants of Distinction Awards Gala, March 16, 2012
- Moderator, “Mayoral Candidate Town Hall for the immigrant community in Calgary,” September 27, 2010 at the Chinese Cultural Centre